Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Discovery of the Utmost Importance!

Right on cue, after I just posted about how much I love the alleys here, I went out for a little walk with two of my friends from the dorm through the alleys / market close to the dorm. Amazingly fun and interesting, of course, and full of chatter, food, and hawkers. We walked past a myriad of vegetable sellers, fruit stands, small electronics shops, people selling Egyptian flags (probably in anticipation of the big match with Algeria tonight in the African Cup of Nations), and people cooking various things.

As we rounded yet another tight corner I saw, lo and behold, a baker rolling out dough, putting some meat and vegetables in the middle, and covering them with another layer of dough. When he had made four of those doughy creations, he stuck them all in oven and let them bake for a few minutes, at which point he pulled out four golden brown circles of meat-filled dough. Sound familiar? Instantly, I realized that I had just made a huge discovery, possibly akin to that of King Tut's tomb or the Titanic deep underneath the Atlantic...I had found the Egyptian version of a calzone! Anyone who knows me knows the special, special place that calzones have in my heart. Of course I had to buy one - 60 cents, what a deal! - and it took all of my willpower to restrain myself from buying two! After watching the baker roll out fresh dough, put the meat, tomatoes, and onions in the middle, and throw it all in the oven, I sunk my teeth into a fresh, hot, and incredibly delicious ha-wow-she (spelling approximate/phonetic). I think I'm going to break the language pledge on this one and just call it a calzone from now on. So good!

I am now happily relaxing back in the dorms, content with the knowledge that even if this semester turns out terribly for some reason (highly unlikely) I will at least have the calzone to fall back on for comfort and solace. And, in the more likely scenario that Egypt continues to be awesome, it will be even better because I will be feasting on calzones quite regularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment